Sunday, October 31, 2010

What a difference a year makes!!!

This time last year, I thought my world had crumbled.

Last October:


1. I was laid off on 10/6/09.

2. Didn't really have savings because I was just getting even on my monthly bills so I could not afford my apartment with no job or with the severance package they gave.

3. Used the severance package to moved back home to Louisiana and live with my mom.

4. Got a crappy job in my area making (nevertheless very grateful for b/c I didn't have to use up all my severance pay) no money and looking at everybody face I grew up with.

5. Waiting to mail off my law school application and worrying about what my next step was going to be if I did not get in.

This October:

1. Now I am back living on my own (feel like an adult again)

2. Have a job where even though the pay is not great, I am in my field again and most importantly I am gaining experience!!

3. In law school worrying about finals and making it to the next semester!!

Life is seem to be looking good!!

I truly had to believe that everything happens for a reason. That God was just preparing me for the move. For spending time and getting reacquainted with old friends and family members and setting a solid foundation back on old stomping grounds.

When I moved back home a year ago, I thought that showed a sign that I failed. I was so worried about what everyone else thought about me, that I was not focused what I thought of myself. I was giving individuals to much power over me and they did not even realize that they had this power over me. Physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually, I was exhausted. I could not get myself together for nothing. I vowed to go into 2010 with a different attitude and that's exactly what I did (to some extent).


2010 brought a new job (not the current one) where I was interacting with individuals in the legal field and obtaining real courtroom experience. It made my quest for a law degree that much stronger. I finally received the acceptance letter and I eventually moved out.

Do I still worry about what people say about me or how I am perceived in their eyes? Sadly I do, but its something that I am working on everyday. Now it is just a different type of people and a different set of standards I feel I failed at. As I interact with more of the people I went to law school with the FIRST TIME, I get to that shameful place again. Nevertheless I can say that its getting better. Technically I don't have time to think about that stuff, I am too busy reading, outlining, and studying. LOL...

Slowly but surely things are getting better.... Do I have my days of "Bre you are f**king up, get it together!!" YES..... However I know that those days come with the terrority of my law school journey. Do I hate working and going to school part time? Yes, but again this is my journey and I cannot compare my journey with anyone else.

That's all folks....... Have you had a year that changed dramatically???? Let me know...

3 comments:

Notorious Spinks said...

Girl I feel your pain. 2010 has been a roller coaster ride for me but 2011 can only be better.

Gumbo said...

When you look back on your journey it will all be so worth it! It's true you do not have time to think about how others perceive your failures (realistically, was it a failure or was it a "turning point" for you? Sometimes we are not ready for our journey, sometimes we are living a journey mapped for someone else (you can not force a path meant for someone else). It seems you are on your "path" now! And as Robert Frost wrote, "And miles to go, before you sleep"! Good Luck!

B.C. said...

@Gumbo:

Thanks!