Monday, August 9, 2010

I have a new job, how is this going to affect school?

As stated in a previous post, I have been blessed to obtain new employment. It is nothing special, but it is a great stepping-stone to finding a better position once I am out of law school. There are many people asking why am I working and going to school at the same time? There are tons of reasons (well really just three):
  1. I cannot afford not to work.
  2. I need to work on eliminating debt in order to take the bar. I am not trying to do this on a student loan salary.
  3. I have monthly expenses that cannot be taken care of with a semester student loan check.
My problem with the new job is not the job itself, but becoming acclimated to the new settings. I know everyone is nervous when they have a new job, but have anxiety problems. Even after 5-6 months of working, I have extreme bouts of anxiety. It’s pretty bad and it has affects on my performance.

So actually, I need to be acclimated to not only the job, but to working and going to school at the same time. Which means that I have a tough battle ahead of me, but I am not only determine to win this battle, but win the war --- GETTING THROUGH FIRST SEMESTER.

In order to work AND go to school, I need to start right away setting myself up right and on the good foot.
  • Learn the ways of law school and the campus. I do not plan to hesitate to ask any question no matter how stupid it may sound to me or the person I am asking. I am getting to the maturity level that I starting not care how smart (intellectual) I sound. The focus is to get through the first semester. I know if I can get through the first, I can graduate!
  • Getting to know the administrative staff. Someone I really respect, told me the best folks to get to know is the administrative /support. I have seen how people often mistreat them and later pay for it when these same people go to them for help. These individuals always knows the “who’s who”.
  • Maintaining “to-do” lists. From previous posts, I have expressed how much of a “planner” I am. Being that I will be working and going to school, to-do lists are going to be vital. If I do not have one, I will feel like my brain is scattered. NOT A GOOD FEELING.
  • Schedule “me time”. FRIDAYS will be my day. NO STUDYING. I plan to use this time to do whatever I want to do. If this means lying in bed all evening after work, that’s what I am going to do. Catching up with DVR shows, reading, blogging, happy hours, talking on the phone with family/friends, etc. Basically even with the heavy schedule I am about to face, I still have to insert some me time in there or I am going to go crazy!!
So what about you? Do any of you have any tips you want to share?

2 comments:

Notorious Spinks said...

I agree with all of those. Just make sure you stay up on the to-do list and don't over whelm yourself.

B.C. said...

Too late on the overwhelming myself part. LOL!! I want to write a post called, "I wanna quit my job, but I am too old to asking my daddy for money". LOL!!!